Thursday, December 29, 2011

Spectacular Views

 

From the Sydney Harbor Bridge, one can see all of Sydney. From the Botanical Gardens, to Darling Harbor, and The Rocks. The view is great, and the weather was nice. It was a nice hike up the to top of the bridge, but it was definitely worth it!

View from the Harbor Bridge
The Sydney Opera House
makes for a nice backdrop.

The exchange rate from US to Australia is generally higher (our dollar is worth less) than most other countries, but sometimes hovers around 1. That would be fine, except I have learned that the cost of living in Australia is rather high. $4 for a Coke. $14 for a pack of four AAA batteries. $6 for some toothpaste. I was prepared for the more expensive cost due to the exchange rate, but hadn't considered the cost of living being so much higher. Also, restaurants do NOT refill your drinks. I paid $2.50 for a soda, and then ended up drinking water after finishing off my small cup of Coke. Needless to say, I believe I'll stick to water from here on out! The minimum wage here is much higher, as well as the per hour cost for skilled labor. Everything is just so expensive!

There are public toilets available as you explore the city of Sydney. Before you ask, "Who would go in a port-a-potty in Australia?!?!", let me explain. These bathrooms are large, secure, and are not free. You have to pay to use them! I might just work up the courage to enter one before we depart for Brisbane...

Public Toilet


The more I explore the college in which we are staying, the more I feel like I'm in Hogwarts. There is a great hall, with long tables for eating at. I feel as if I will, if I look hard enough, see the sorting hat sitting on a stool at the other end of the room. There are crests, symbols, and shields. Winding hallways and secret passages. Maybe I'll find a painting to talk to while I'm here.

Students arriving at Wesley College (Hogwarts

No comments:

Post a Comment