Monday, January 16, 2012

Australian Open

The day was long, and very windy, but also amazing! Ben, a fellow ENVD student, and I woke up early and went to a local cafe for breakfast, where I enjoyed a delicious banana filled crepe. That started the day off just the way I needed it to, as we had a long day ahead of us. The group clustered together outside of our accommodations, and we were all handed the golden ticket, to the Australian Open. I don’t know much about tennis, but I do know that Roger Federer is an amazing athlete, and that I was going to see him play later in the evening.


We started our trek across town to RMIT, a university mainly teaching project management, where we were served lunch. A professor from the school then took us (by tram instead of foot this time) to a construction site that L U SIMON is currently working on. The soon to be apartment buildings were interesting to see, as we were shown each floor in different stages of completion.

As exciting as the construction site was, we were all excited for the tennis matches that were quickly approaching. After doing some laundry, watching some news, and eating dinner, we headed toward the stadium. We had to hang around outside the court for awhile, as we waited for other players to finish, and for the seating area to be cleaned. Finally, the doors opened, and we entered into what will be a once in a lifetime event for most of us. Federer was up first, and through some close calls, ended up with a win overall. 

 

During a break, I got up to grab some food for myself and other students. After I spent more money than I should have, I began walking back to the door my seat was through. Then, out of nowhere, a young lady crumpled to the floor. She was breathing, but wasn’t waking up. I called 9-1-1, but while I was speaking with the operator, some EMT’s that were at the stadium arrived. The lady woke up, and seemed to be ok, so I went back to my seat. That was surely an adventure I could have done without!





Wozniacki showed her talent and skill as she went head to head with an Australian player, but also came out on top. Watching the entire crowd be silent, and then buzz with activity, and then go back into silence, was amazing, as I am used to constant screaming at any sports event I’ve attended. The experience was a great one!

2 comments:

  1. How did the Australian apartments compare to apartments in the States? I think tramping around in a building under construction would really be interesting.
    Sounds like an eventful day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apartments cost 450k-500k each. They had A/C in the main living area, but not in the bedrooms. The apartments themselves were TINY compared to anything I've seen in the states. The balcony had an odd piece attached to it for "architectural quality", but for the owner, all it did was obstruct the view and the use of the balcony. Apparently they're worth it, since all but a few of the apartments have already been sold!

    ReplyDelete