Friday, January 6, 2012

Our second day in this glorious city consisted of a long, relaxing, River Cruise along the Brisbane River. Tea, coffee, and some snacks were provided for the passengers, so I took full advantage of the "free" food. Along our cruise, iconic landmarks of Brisbane were pointed out to us, while much of it, I spent admiring the river front homes. It was an overcast day, yet the rain never came. 

Lunch was great, and consisted of grilled fish, salad, and a vegemite sandwich. The other students and I have been discussing how everything seems to be healthier here. Even the McDonalds doesn't taste as greasy. The chicken and fish is all (mostly, I should say) grilled, and there is very little dressing on the salad. Obviously, the most important part of my meal was the vegemite. This is another food that Andrew Zimmern highlighted in his adventures in Australia, and is a staple food among Australians. Multiple Aussies have told me I needed to try it, and so... I took the plunge. It smells very alcoholic, and has a bitter taste. I didn't gag, or turn my nose up in disgust, but I also would never eat it for breakfast on a daily basis like many Aussies will do.
The evening was spent at a restaurant/bar named The Brew House. I tried to play pool, but the balls and pockets are much smaller, and weigh less than the pool balls I am used to. I gave up after a while, and just relaxed. After awhile, we called it a night, and walked back to our apartment. We had to be up early the next morning, so we wanted to take advantage of an early bedtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment