Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Koalas, Kangaroos, and Emus, OH MY!

Ok, so the title is slightly... well, VERY corny, but it fits with what we did yesterday! After a morning of relaxing, cat napping, and tanning, I made my way down to the lobby of our hotel to meet up with the group. We caught some buses out to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, where we had the chance to encounter Australia's most famous animals up close. They had dingos, platypus, cockatoos, and many other species of birds, but us Americans were focused in on something else...





First up, the koalas. The Sanctuary houses newborn, elderly, injured, or rescued koalas. They are spread throughout the area, and everywhere you turn, there are more koalas. They are surprisingly friendly, and have thick, somewhat coarse fur. Please take notice of the shirt I'm wearing. This is Auburn Down Under, right? War Eagle!! I feel like I need to come home now, because how can this trip get any better, now that I've held a koala?




The roos were up next. Lone Pine has a 5 acre plot set aside for the kangaroos and emus. I bought some kangaroo food (just pellets) and commenced my journey. There were joeys in their mom's pouches, males kicked back showing their muscles, and a few elderly kanga's slowly making there way around the place. Talk about an awesome day!










1 comment:

  1. Emily, I have enjoyed reading about your trip and seeing all your pictures. They are really interesting.

    ReplyDelete